Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Queen of France ...

Well, she wet her pants. At least that is the word on the street at the playground. Yes, according to my daughter and her little jump roping friends, the queen of France wet her pants, right in the middle of the wedding dance. How many puddles did she make? This varies according to the talents of the person jumping. Today, the queen got up to 26 puddles before the best jumper got caught on the rope and stopped.

Yes, these are the words to their favorite jump rope song. It's cute I suppose, but different than my old favorite "Down Down Baby, down by the rollercoaster ..." Still, it's better than this one:

"Ice Cream, Ice Cream, Cherry on Top!
How many boyfriends do you got?"

Can everybody say ewwwww!

How many boyfriends do you got?

I cringed when I heard my daughter say that as she was practicing in our garage the other night. I said, "Honey, why don't you say 'how many boyfriends do you have?'"

She frowned. "Mom, then it wouldn't rhyme. It has to be got or it won't work."

I sighed and smiled, patting her on the shoulder. "I know, sweetie. I understand the importance of rhyme, but you see, when you use the word 'got' at the end of that question, well, it just makes you girls sound like you aren't very smart, which obviously isn't true. You're all such bright, well-spoken little gals. You certainly want to sound intelligent, don't you?"

She looked at me like I was nuts, so I continued. "I'm sure there are other alternatives. How about ... Ice Cream, Ice Cream with a cherry! My boyfriend is really hairy!"

Again with the "My mom is nuts" look.

"Or, what about ... Ice Cream, Ice Cream cherry on top! My boyfriend likes to clean with a mop!"

She rolled her eyes at me and turned away to continue practicing.

Husband just looked at me and said, "Wow."

Whatever. Does he really expect me to say nothing? I'm an English teacher. I admit that I'm not perfect and often make mistakes when writing and speaking, I'm sure of that. But geesh. How many boyfriends do you got? Ewww.

Other than learning about the Queen of France and her bladder control issues, I've also learned that, en route to his service in the Korean war, my great uncle protected his friends while they were swimming in the straights of Messina off the coast of Italy by shooting his M-1 rifle into the shark infested waters. In addition, he also knew the guy who drove Mussolini's car (seriously!) and was ambushed in Korea on Thanksgiving Day and was able to hop a train to escape. This of course was after they ran into some sort of headquarters in Seoul, Korea and found several decapitated bodies of prisoners!

How do I know all of this? Because I'm typing his memoirs, and let me tell you, I had no idea he had such an interesting life! It's crazy hearing about his childhood where he collected and sold corn cobs to make money, served in WWII, fell in love with his wife in Italy, and barely survived a cold winter during his time in Korea. It's pretty amazing hearing about all of it, and I wish my grandparents and parents would write down their stories so we could have them forever.

I know I mentioned my favorite TV shows yesterday, but I have a new one! Bionic Woman! I LOVE it! Since Buffy and Sydney Bristow are no longer on TV, we need a girl who can kick some serious butt! She's awesome!

Still reading Love in the Time of Cholera. Only 20 pages in.

Enjoy Grey's Anatomy and those cuties from Big Shots tonight! Wahoo!

No comments: